Friday, July 8, 2016

More cover art - and not just an ebook!

It's been a while, I know. These things take time. You can't rush genius.

More to the point, I knew it would be a bad thing to just grab a cover that was pretty good, that would "do", if I wasn't completely happy with it - no matter how impatient I was to get this book out into the world. I had to take my time and wait until I had a cover that felt just right.

Everyone knows you shouldn't judge a book by its cover - but I think almost everyone does just that.

A book's cover tells you so much about it - who it's for, what it's like, whether it's funny or serious or scary or fantastical. And that's before you've even read the title or noticed the name of the author. A detail as subtle as the style of the lettering communicates so much more than you'd think - until you pick the wrong one and nobody buys your book because the cover art isn't attracting them and the outside doesn't match up with the inside.

So I worked with some friends who are as talented as they are patient, and together we suggested and opined and discussed and tried different things and brought our various abilities together and now, almost now, any day now, I will have the final final cover ready to upload with the text files and make my ebook. I'm also going to try to make a physical book as well, because hey, why not? You'll be able to order it from Amazon in Ireland/UK or the US. All the formats, all the ways to read about Lilac.

So here's the new cover art. I think - and I hope you'll agree - that it's eye-catching and fun, that it looks right for the age group and that it's quirky and modern. I'd want to read it - wouldn't you?


4 comments:

  1. That does look good. Is there a real book to buy at the moment or only the e book as yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look good. Is there a real book to buy at the moment or only the e book as yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fionnulala,
    I've just this second ordered a print copy for me to proof before I release it for general purchase. I had to reupload files yesterday because part of a sentence was somehow missing! (Though it's there in the ebook.) It's nerve-racking - and much as I'd love to be impatient and just say "PUBLISH IT!", I really should take the extra couple of weeks to make sure it's as good as I can make it before it's a physical book sitting on people's shelves.
    But when it is available, it'll be only gorgeous!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh! Sorry for misspelling your name there. My fingers ran away with me. :)

      Delete